New 1.14 RC date?

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Sat Apr 4 23:37:06 BST 2009

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> A one-month release cycle is extremely ambitious.  The Bazaar team has
> done an excellent job of keeping to that schedule so far, but it's
> only been a half-dozen or so, right?

No. I've been working on Bazaar for 2 years now and the monthly cycle
has been in place for all of that time IIRC. 1.6 was the major
exception and we've delayed a week now and then when we felt it
was the right thing to do. Except for 1.6 when we delayed and should
not have IMO, we've got the decision right every time I think.

> AIUI, this is your first real test.  You have an important feature
> that should have just missed the window, and now you have a chance to
> rush it in.  So you do.  What does that say about your evaluation of
> the value of the process and the one-month schedule?

It was me who asked for the "delay", a delay that Martin (who's been on
leave this week) verbally approved several weeks ago at the Brisbane
sprint in early March. So, I've been working on the assumption *all
that time* that we've have that exact week and I've been pacing myself
and prioritising accordingly, e.g. I landed EOL into 1.14 because I
figured there was still plenty of (unofficial) time for merging
brisbane-core.

My email triggering this debate was for two reasons:

1. To ask the Release Manager and community for their approval

2. To suggest we target Wed/Thu, not Friday, to give the RM time
   an *extra* day to sort out any issues. So, in a sense, I was
   making the deadline tighter by a day.

FWIW, the requested delay also was for two reasons, though the
second reason - justification enough alone for delaying the RC
till Monday IMO - seems to have been forgotten in this debate:

1. To land the NG development format in a controlled, fully
   reviewed way.
2. To give the community time to find any EOL bugs prior to the RC.

So *I* think that speaks volumes about our process. The project
leader said it was OK weeks ago but we asked the community anyhow
and left the decision to the RM.

Ian C.