New 1.14 RC date?

Andrew Bennetts andrew.bennetts at canonical.com
Fri Apr 3 00:33:57 BST 2009

Brian de Alwis wrote:
> On 2-Apr-2009, at 11:31 AM, Jeff Licquia wrote:
>> I seem to be hearing the developers say that the only proven way to
>> get that broader testing is to let people play with beta formats
>> without having to reinstall bzr.  If you say this isn't true, what
>> evidence do you have to counter the experiences of the devs?
>
> Conversely, I don't recall seeing a request to the list to try the
> brisbane-core enabled branch.  I lurk on this list, mostly to pick up

You didn't see a request because it wasn't quite ready for widespread
testing yet ;)

The on-disk format had been changing on a weekly basis, there were
significant performance regressions that we already knew about and were in
the process of fixing, etc.  So we wanted to get past that before asking for
more widespread testing.

The goal had been that a beta version would make 1.14, and then we'd call
for interested people to try it out and give us feedback.  If it doesn't
make 1.14 we may ask people to try bzr.dev or roll an early 1.15beta or
something instead, but that won't be as effective as if we get it into 1.14.
The easier and more widespread the code is the more feedback we'll be able
to get, which is why “try the experimental option in the bzr you already
have installed” beats “first, get a new bzr from...”.   So that's why the
goal was 1.14, and if we miss that then it's a tradeoff between waiting
another month or doing the work of 1.15 beta release or similar to get at
least some new feedback sooner than that.

Certainly the moment it hits bzr.dev *I'll* be doing a lot of my work in it
to help find any issues.  I'm sure the landing will be trumpted quite loudly
on this list :)

-Andrew.