Last day to vote/reject on proposed EOL names

Talden talden at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 02:56:20 BST 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Mark Hammond <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote:
>> Some brain-dead windows-only applications that do not recognise lf as
>> a line-separator and linux shell scripts that don't work if they have
>> crlf.  There are others.
>
> Right - so the files processed by the brain-dead windows apps are checked in
> with \r\n and marked as exact.  The files processed by the brain-dead gnu
> tools get checked in with \n and marked as exact.  Unless a braind-dead tool
> from each of these categories needs to process the *same* file, I still
> don't see the problem.

brain-dead in that if a user edits the file and doesn't maintain
uniform use of CRLF then the tool breaks.

>> In both cases the files may be checked out on either platform to build
>> an installer that includes these files. That installer can then be run
>> on either platform but needs it's install content to be correct.
>
> But best I can tell, if they were marked as 'exact', they *would* be correct
> everywhere?

You're counting on every users editor to do the right thing.  They
don't.  So the alternatives are this, pre-processing at point of use,
using hooks to prevent commits reaching the repo with incorrect
content.

--
Talden