New 1.14 RC date?

Neil Martinsen-Burrell nmb at wartburg.edu
Wed Apr 1 22:10:29 BST 2009

Ian Clatworthy <ian.clatworthy <at> internode.on.net> writes:

> I'd like to hold off doing the 1.14rc release this Friday and
> target Wed/Thu next week say, instead. The chk stuff looks
> like it's coming along nicely but I can't see us merging it
> all into bzr.dev this week in a safe, fully reviewed way.
>
> As next Friday is the start of the Easter long weekend, having
> as much done as we can by Wednesday seems a good goal because
> it would allow Bob a day to chase down any issues. Alternatively,
> we could delay the RC a few more days - till Tues Apr 14.
>
> FWIW, I really like sticking tightly to monthly releases.
> In this case though, I think our community may be better served
> by waiting till we're merged brisbane-core so we get broader
> testing of that code sooner. Releasing the RC next week also
> give *me* more time to iron out any EOL issues that arise.

I'll join the choir and say that I don't think that landing brisbane-core in the
days before an RC is the right time to get testing on it.  Landing it directly
afterwards with a full release cycle to process bugs and THEN having an RC of
that release for wider testing is safer IMO.

As the discussion about Python's VCS choice pointed out, Bazaar has been
promising (and delivering) improvements for a long time.  Being one month later
in getting a completely experimental feature into a public release does not seem
like a large loss relative to getting careful testing and review.

-Neil