BDFL decision of Python's DVCS

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Apr 1 04:08:38 BST 2009

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:32:37 -0500
Barry Warsaw <barry at canonical.com> wrote:

> Actually, I think this would be a killer approach for bzr.  I mean,
> how many dvcs users really care about the repository format or even
> the wire protocol?  How cool would it be if it didn't matter, and
> bzr clients could talk to any (of the big 5) vc servers?  It would
> (IMO) be a game changer because then the choice of DVCS X by project
> Y would be greeted by a big "ho hum, I'll just point my client at
> that and grab the code".

Exactly.  :-)

It'd also make life a lot easier for anyone that wants to do things
like use a single VCS to track local patches.  I actually kind of
thought that would be the point of Launchpad's code mirroring service
hosted in bzr branches.

I know that at least for me, I don't feel like learning several
different systems and their ways of working, and trying to remember
which one to use for which project.

	--- Mike