[MERGE] integrated EOL conversion support

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Mar 30 08:29:30 BST 2009

Matt Doran writes:

 > What seems a little strange to me is that the EOL decision can be made
 > by each end-user through their local configuration.  It is flexible, but
 > is it too flexible? :)

No.  Consider the case of the MSVC project file.  You may want to
check it out and use local conventions to edit it on a Unix system,
then commit the changes.  Some end-users (most, nowadays I should
think) will use an editor that can grok the EOL in the file on disk,
and it won't matter.  Those users can, and probably should, use
"exact" convention (in case of a stray incorrect EOL this will be
visible as a stray control character).  Others won't use such an
editor and they'll need to use the platform convention, and let bzr
take care of conversion.