[MERGE] log mainline only by default

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Mar 26 17:46:53 GMT 2009

Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> As I've mentioned many times, I'm a big fan of UIs that
> adopt a philosophy of progressive disclosure vs throwing
> too much information at you at once. There are at least
> 2 places in our UI that suffer from this:
>
> * log shows nested revisions by default
> * ls recurses by default
>
> This patch addresses the first of these. I had flagged months
> ago my desire to make short the default log format. Jelmer
> suggested that making --long show the mainline by default was
> a less disruptive change. I agree so this patch does that,
> updating tests and user documentation accordingly.
>
> In summary, this patch is good because:
>
> * it makes progressive disclosure the default in log
> * it makes --long consistent with --short and --line
> * it lets log show incremental results instantaneously
>   (vs 100s for building the full merge graph on OOo before
>   showing anything)
> * it makes 'bzr log' faster overall.
>
> We like to land UI changes like this early-ish in the
> development cycle so bzr.dev users have time to evaluate them.
> For 1.14, we're still probably 2 weeks from RC so I think
> there's still plenty of time for that. Futhermore, this
> isn't a new UI (like progress bars were say) - the existing
> output has been in use since 1.12 (using 'bzr log -n0').
>
> Ian C.

BB:comment

I think we need to make it clear how users can see merged revisions.
Like what we did with "use -v to see all pending merges" for status, we
need to make it clear when there are merges/revisions that we aren't
showing.

People have already had problems with "I merged and now my revisions are
gone". Which has happened because Loggerhead doesn't show merged
revisions anymore (except for a tiny link that is really hard to
understand), and because of them aliasing "ls = ls --short" and
forgetting that it changed things.

Especially people coming from other systems expect "bzr log" to show
everything. We can get away with not doing it, but we should explain how
they can get the rest.