Bazaar backports

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Mar 25 22:57:31 GMT 2009

[let's take this to the list]

2009/3/25 Robert Collins <robert.collins at canonical.com>:
> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 11:07 +0000, James Westby wrote:
>> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 14:49 +1300, Tim Penhey wrote:
>> > Hi James,
>> >
>> > I'm wondering if you can help with the backport efforts for Bazaar, or if you
>> > can suggest someone who knows about this type of thing who could help if you
>> > cannot.
>>
>> I could certainly help, it's not difficult to test backports, just time
>> consuming. I'm pretty busy with other things now though, so I'm not sure
>> that I could spare the time to work through it.
>>
>> Which backports are you interested in?

bzr, bzrtools, bzr-gtk, bzr-svn, into the reasonably active past
releases.  We'd like to make sure people on any still-supported Ubuntu
release will be able to access branches on Launchpad with good
performance.  Including people using bzr on those Ubuntu versions to
run backports.

At the moment we have good coverage in our PPAs but we'd like to make
it more officially available through the backports mechanism.

To my mind it's quite a stretch to get it into -updates: we can't make
a minimal patch (for any sensible meaning of the word) to add new
formats and smartserver operations into the version in hardy.  We
could ask for a policy exception.  But whatever we do, getting a
backport would be a good first step, would give some information, and
maybe it would turn out to be enough.

> John Ferlito is putting care into the ppa at the moment, perhaps he can
> do backports too.

Good idea.  But maybe James could help, not so much in the technical
side as in shepherding the justification process?

There is a backport bug, <https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/302987>

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>