Importing Bzr revisions

Teemu Likonen tlikonen at iki.fi
Mon Mar 23 14:07:03 GMT 2009

[I'll Cc to Bazaar list too because this subject is half-Git and
half-Bazaar and we may need help from both sides.]

On 2009-03-23 09:27 (-0400), David Reitter wrote:

> I'm just experimenting with "bzr fast-export", which converts to git,
> and it seems to take about 4 minutes for 1000 revisions on our
> (modern) server. That would be around 7 hours for my emacs repository;
> I can't do that daily.
>
> I wonder if there's a way for (bzr) fast-export / (git) fast-import to
> work incrementally, i.e. for selected or most recent revisions.

They can or should work incrementally, and actually I have succesfully
done that. The idea is to use --import-marks and --export-marks options
with "git fast-import" and --marks option with "bzr fast-export.

I noticed some problems with newer versions of "bzr fast-export", though
(since it was converted to a proper Bzr command). It seems to corrupt
the marks file when doing the first incremental export after the initial
export. At least the revisions are not in right order in the marks file
anymore. "git fast-import" can't continue to import from the same
revision where it left last time and it seems to create alternative
history -- or something.

Really I don't know if this is a bug in Bzr or in Git and haven't
figured out how to file a useful bug report.