[MERGE] fix add in view-aware trees

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 18 22:01:17 GMT 2009

Robert Collins wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 06:18 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
>> By design, most of the view handling is done
>> in the UI level (builtins.py) so this test multiplication is required
>> at that level and not just at the API level.
>
> Is it possible to move the view handling out of the UI? bzr-gtk, qbzr
> etc will all have to duplicate it as it stands. blackbox tests test the
> entire stack so I'm rather uncomfortable with needing to multiply them,
> and that makes me uncomfortable about the design making it necessary for
> us to do that.

Not in the short term. I like the idea of the UI layer being a thin veneer
over API calls but that simply isn't the case for most commands, and
therefore testing 99% of the app just at API level isn't currently realistic.

The entry points for view handling are thin: builtins.tree_files() and
builtins.tree_files_for_add(). Perhaps we need to move those out of
builtins.py into their own module and have explicit tests for them.
Even then, I don't think we should underestimate the value of
end-to-end black-box testing.

Ian C.