[ANNOUNCE] bzr 1.13 released

Christophe TROESTLER Christophe.Troestler+bzr at umons.ac.be
Mon Mar 16 18:26:07 GMT 2009

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 08:44:04 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> Teemu Likonen wrote:

> >> Goes out looking fine, looks fine via email, but looks "bad" via
> >> gmane. How are you read the announcement?
> >
> > Nevertheless, it's the sender's end which is broken because it
> > automatically inserts hard newlines.
>
> I don't see any incorrect hard newlines in there.  The message is
> format=flowed, so its " \n" line terminations are soft newlines.

Well, the original message has indeed the format=flowed but is
quoted-printable encoded.  In this case, it was not necessary and
actually is not advised: quoting http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3676.txt

   [Quoted-Printable] encoding SHOULD NOT be used with Format=Flowed
   unless absolutely necessary (for example, non-US-ASCII (8-bit)
   characters over a strictly 7-bit transport such as unextended
   [SMTP]).  In particular, a message SHOULD NOT be encoded in Quoted-
   Printable for the sole purpose of protecting the trailing space on
   flowed lines unless the body part is cryptographically signed or
   encrypted (see Section 4.6).

   The intent of Format=Flowed is to allow user agents to generate
   flowed text which is non-obnoxious when viewed as pure, raw
   this and may cause Format=Flowed to be rejected by end users.

I guess this is the reason why some mailers displayed badly the
message.  (Unfortunately ``Apple Mail'' is of not best known for
respecting standards...).

Cheers,
ChriS