Usage of bzr-hg plug-in

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Fri Mar 13 02:19:55 GMT 2009

Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at vernstok.nl> writes:

> You seem to mean something different than Colin. Colin mentioned
> wanting to read a short description that allowed him to decide
> whether or not plugin foo did what he was looking for.

I hope I'm clearer now: the package's documentation, online and
readable before getting the package, is a factor in assessing whether
to install it.

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > I don't know how to word it, but I would expect a UI-level answer
> > to the questions “What can I do now that I couldn't before?” and
> > “How should I do it?” If that's as simple as telling me which
> > *existing* commands now work differently (and how they work
> > differently), then that's what to say.
> There *are* no changes on the UI level. No new commands, currently
> no new revspecs, no new urlspecs. The only difference is that you
> can now run some bzr commands in branches that use the Mercurial
> formats.

That, to me, *is* a UI-level change. It is not a change *of* the UI,
but the change in behaviour is at the level of the UI. Regardless,
it's exactly the sort of change I'm looking to understand when reading
the documentation.

> If you have a way to describing that *without* mentioning the fact
> there are different file formats, I'm listening :-)

Note that I'm not against mentioning whatever is going to actually
communicate the changed behaviour to the user; I merely asserted that
talking about “file formats” wasn't doing it in this case.

Here's an attempt:

=====
$ bzr help hg
Mercurial support for bzr.

Enables Bazaar operations to work directly on Mercurial (hg)
repositories.

Note that, due to incompatibilities between the revision data of
Bazaar and Mercurial, currently a Mercurial repository can only be
used read-only.

The following core Bazaar commands are supported: ‘foo’, ‘bar’, ‘baz’.

=====

--
 \                 “Today, I was — no, that wasn't me.” —Steven Wright |
Ben Finney