OpenID yadda yadda yadda...

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Thu Mar 12 18:34:15 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:44:03AM +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
> Being an OpenID consumer would be useful.  However there are some
> things Launchpad needs to do that are not (afaik) in the scope of
> openid, including getting a password and/or gpg key, and getting a
> verified mail address.

Personally, all I want from Launchpad is to

  * accept an OpenID instead of a username + password combination
  * associate my OpenID with my already existing Launchpad account (or
    create a new Launchpad account for me, if I don't already have one)

I have no desire that Launchpad store its account data on my OpenID
server, and I doubt that's possible.

There are sites that do this, and do it right.  I believe bitbucket.org
is one example that I encountered recently (and OpenID support was the
reason I signed up there -- requiring me to come up with a new password
and write it down somewhere would've been that one step too many).

Marius Gedminas
--
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
                -- Albert Einstein