how to get bazaar log rid of minor "sandbox" commits?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 16:54:01 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Martin Pool <mbp at sourcefrog.net> wrote:
> The easiest way for you to implement it is perhaps to use a convention
> in your commit messages, and then you can for example use 'bzr log
> --message' to find them again.  For instance I sometimes commit with
> '[broken]' at the start of the message when I know I'm committing with
> failing tests, which sounds a bit like the case you started from.
> There's also some discussion in another thread of a more powerful
> predicate language here.

Thanks for the comments Martin. THe predicate language sounds very
promising. For now, I'll use  your suggestion about structured
comments.

> If you want something more structured we could look at tagging
> revisions with properties; if you can come up with a taxonomy that
> would be generally useful it might be supported in both commit and log
> etc.  But I suspect it's going to be a bit user- or project-specific.

Structure is always great. Something like this comes to mind.

[minor hack]
bzr commit foo
[minor hack]
bzr commit foo
[minor hack]
bzr commit foo
[finally done with changes]
bzr commit foo

bzr log foo
[long list]
bzr demote -rev 23,24,25           [23,24,25 seem sandbox changes;
who'd ever wanna look at that crap]
bzr log --level 0 foo                     [just show me all level 0 changes]
[shorter list]
bzr log --level 0,1 foo                      [just show me all level 0
and level 1 changes]
bzr log --level all foo                      [works just like bazaar
currently does]

Something like this might work? Just a thought.

Demotion and Promotion of changes could allow arbitrary levels of
nesting. And then a user could look at level 1 changes or level 2
changes etc. Note, *nothing* ought to change with the way commits are
made or stored. Its only the UI that changes the way I see it.

So if anyone *really* wanted to revert to a sandboxed change he could;
he just has to list the right levels.

I've no idea of the Bazaar implementation but this is a prototype that
I just thought of. Maybe you guys can tear it apart! :)

--
Rahul