Usage of bzr-hg plug-in

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Mar 11 21:56:03 GMT 2009

Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at vernstok.nl> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 07:05:33PM +1100, Ben Finney wrote:
> > The ‘bzr-hg’ plugin <URL:https://launchpad.net/bzr-hg/> doesn't give
> > much information on how to use it.
> Similarly to bzr-git and bzr-svn, it will allow access to Mercurial
> repositories from Bazaar. The existing documentation for Bazaar should
> be sufficient here, as bzr-hg doesn't provide anything visible in the
> UI of Bazaar.

No, the existing documentation is not sufficient. Knowing very little
about how the plug-in might operate, and having failed to find any
documentation on the website before downloading it, I have installed a
plug-in, for which there is a brief help message that is strangely
detailed about implementation limitations but entirely devoid of how
to use it.

Having installed it, with a vague idea of what its purpose might be, I
then have nothing to tell me what to do next. The original message
shows where I, personally, was expecting to find such information;
maybe other non-Bazaar-developers will have different viewpoints.

Since I came to the end of that quest — rather longer than I might
spend on most programs similarly undocumented — without knowing what
to do with it, I don't consider the existing documentation sufficient.

> > (Is there a place at Launchpad where the documentation for a
> > package is stored? Or does Launchpad not encourage standard
> > documentation for packages?)
> Not sure I follow, if there would be more documentation necessary it
> wouldn't be on Launchpad but inside of the package itself. Similar
> to e.g. alioth.

I concur with Colin that documentation online is very desirable
*before* downloading any package, to decide whether it serves one's
purpose and what will be needed to begin using it.

> You didn't do anything wrong, this is a bug in the plugin (which is
> pre-alpha at the moment).

Thanks for the confirmation.

--
 \         “My mother was like a sister to me, only we didn't have sex |
  `\                                     quite so often.” —Emo Philips |