Automate push after commit?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Mar 10 14:16:11 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 12:53 +0100, Nicholas Allen wrote:
> I think it would be useful if there was a way to automate a push after a
> commit (if a push location has been specified for a branch). I know a similar
> thing can be achieved with a bound branch but when the bound location is
> remote a commit can take 10-20 seconds and this is seriously annoying. If I
> commit locally the commit is a fast operation but I don't get the benefit of a
> remote backup and notifying my peers of my changes. I can always push manually
> but it would be nice if there was an automated way to do this.
When you commit in a bound branch it basically does this, so I think the
emphasis should be on fixing that performance problem rather than adding
a workaround for it (and yet another workflow).

A bound branch creates the commit locally (if it's a heavyweight
checkout), then pushes it to the master branch and then updates the tip
of the local branch.

Cheers,

Jelmer
Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org