Bazaar Search Language brain dump

Robert Collins robert.collins at canonical.com
Fri Mar 6 05:09:04 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-06 at 17:45 +1300, Jonathan Lange wrote:

> Two quick post-beer reactions:
>
> 1. Rob tells me that he and Andrew have talked a lot about this
> between themselves.

Well, I think two things got conflated :P.

Andrew and I haven't talked a lot about something as specific as this;
but we have tossed the thing around.

Separately, I've been aiming for a search language in bzr-search, and I
think it would be a great shame to end up with two search languages.

bzr-search's one is simple (python layer description):
query ::= terms
terms ::= term*
term ::= tuple_of_strings

1-tuples are simple searches, 2-tuples are compound searches like (for
instance) ("path:", "a-fileid", "a-revision") can find the path of a
file.

The english level search is simply:
query ::= terms
terms ::= term*