why does "bzr cat" throw junk on screen before the first "bzr commit"? bzr bug?

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 17:47:36 GMT 2009

Just noticed something funny with bazaar and I am curious whether it
merely reflects my ignorance of the system or is a tiny bug:

%>echo  "foo" > test_file
%>bzr add test_file
%>bzr cat test_file
[screenloads of junk]

%>bzr commit test_file
foo

I know one ought to "bzr commit" before one can "bzr cat" but yet why
does it not flag an error instead of apparantly dumping what seems
like an internal data structure? Or is there some potential use for
that feature.

Just curious.

On a side note a question about the workflow: Why does the initial
"bzr add" not "bzr commit" as well. Is there some significance to the
limbo between the first add and the first commit? I find myself doing
those two steps always one after the other.

--
Rahul