bzr-svn - Support for weird nested branching scheme?

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Feb 27 22:12:54 GMT 2009

Hi Colin,

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 13:29 -0800, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> I'm using bzr-svn to mirror and work on a group project that is
> primarily hosted on an svn server.  It's working well, and here's the
> layout on the svn server:
>
> /trunk
> /branches/version_1.0
> /branches/version_2.0
> /branches/version_3.0
>
> This was working fine.  But now a team member has branched
> "/branches/version_3.0" into "/branches/version_3.0/Arc".  Nasty!  So
> in my svn working copy of version_3.0, when I updated it, I got all the
> Arc stuff too, since svn has no real concept of branches as opposed to
> plain directories.
>
> I have not pulled with bzr-svn since the /Arc nested branch was added
> because I don't want to mess up my local bzr repo.  What I would like is
> a way to tell bzr-svn that "/branches/version_3.0/Arc" is a branch unto
> itself and that it should not be included in the "version_3.0" branch,
> but rather a new branch for "Arc" should be created in bzr for it.
>
> Is this possible with the bzr-svn branching scheme configuration, or
> can I write some Python code to handle it?
You can't exclude anything from the contents of a branch using bzr-svn,
not even using some trivial custom code. While we could do this in
theory, supporting this would be a hell. It would add a large amount of
corner cases in bzr-svn. Furthermore, even if we supported it, you would
have to re-clone the branch every time you changed what you wanted to
exclude from it and it would be impossible to merge from people who
cloned the same branch but had a different set of excludes set.

Perhaps views can help a little bit here? You could "view" just the
directories in the working tree you're interested in.

Of course, you can "bzr branch ../branches/version_3.0/arc" without
problems to just get the arc branch.

> Also, I tried to do 'bzr branches' on the svn server, and it is not
> working.  Basically it is just saying "analyzing repository layout"
> over and over forever:
>
>   $ bzr branches svn+https://[...]/svn/clever/branches
>   The svn+ syntax is deprecated, use [...]
>   [/                   ]   4936kB @    7kB/s | analyzing repository layout 65/65
>
> So it has been running for about 10 minutes now, apparently just
> downloading the same data over and over.  There are only ~340 files in
> each branch, only 5 branches, and only about 60 revisions in total in
> the svn repository.  So it shouldn't take long to get all the info that
> "bzr branches" needs.  Should "bzr branches" work on an svn repository?
Which version of bzr-svn are you running? I think this may actually be
fixed in lp:bzr-svn.

Cheers,

JElmer

Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org