bzr-gtk vs. QBzr

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Thu Feb 26 21:41:23 GMT 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:47:57 +0200
Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net> wrote:

> Russel Winder пишет:
> > Alexander,
> >
> > On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 19:08 +0200, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
> >
> >> I don't understand your concern about garbage collecting. If you're
> >> merge your feature branch to mainline all revisions will go there.
> >> If you do uncommit in the branch inside shared repo the garbage will
> >> stay there anyway. It seems like only stacked branching for feature
> >> branches is real answer today.
> >
> > I am not sure I understand the feeling either, it is irrational and
> > based on emotion :-)
> >
> > The scenario I have in mind is:
> >
> > 	Take feature branch
> > 	Do some experimentation including commits
> > 	Abandon branch as a failure
> > 	Delete branch
> >
> > As I understand various comments made some months ago on the list this
> > will leave garbage in the shared repository that cannot be removed.
>
> This is true and not true in the same time.
>
> bzr has built-in garbage collector called "branch", sometimes known
> as "init+pull". Or even "push"; it's does not actually matter.
> All you need is: periodically create new empty shared repository
> and branch there your old branches. This will effectively filter out
> all garbage and in the end you'll have new shining repo.
> I'm sure any Linux hacker can write the script for this maintenance
> stuff in 5 minutes. Or may be even in 4. Someone even can spend
> 5 more minutes to write bzr plugin to do this stuff.

That's really a kludge and will require 2X the disk space -- also might
be more wasteful of time:  If all garbage is new since the last GC run,
then the garbage collector can consider only that new data and not have
to copy tons of old revisions that are clean.

Also, simply branching into a new shared repo is more complex than a
new user might think, since if you want to preserve all the
submit_branch, push_branch, parent branch, etc., you have to manually
reset it after branching, which is annoying.  (That script you speculate
could be written would just have to deal with that.)

Regards,
Colin