[MERGE] concise help for commands by default

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Thu Feb 26 06:26:35 GMT 2009

Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> Martin Pool wrote:

>> I do think 'bzr help foo' should display all the help on foo, not just
>> the summary.

> I'm fine with 'bzr help foo' showing the full text and 'bzr foo -h' showing
> the usage. That implies that help and -h aren't identical but I can't
> see why they have to be. If someone went to the trouble of typing
> 'bzr help foo' (vs 'bzr foo -h'), then the full help ought to be no
> surprise IMHO.

Updated patch attached. In a nutshell:

* bzr xxx -h => usage
* bzr help xxx => full help

The patch also includes a test to confirm that custom help sections
remain in the order given. (The code for that landed in 1.12 as part
of the expanded log help patch.)

Ian C.

PS: This is rather low priority in my mind but we like to get UI changes
done early in the cycle to maximise the time bzr.dev users have to provide
feedback. So I'm sending it in now.