bzr-gtk vs. QBzr

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Feb 26 01:15:34 GMT 2009

Karl Fogel writes:
 > Colin D Bennett <colin at gibibit.com> writes:
 > > Sadly, all the TortoiseSVN users I know (my team members on a
 > > university project) have no clue how to do basic operations like
 > > "diff", "revert", "switch", etc. which are simple in the command line,
 > > but you have to find the right menu option (diff is "Create Patch", I
 > > think) for it.  I'd like to tell them, "just run 'svn diff'", but they
 > > have no idea that there is even a command line for Subversion!
 >
 > Which is fine.  Command lines are not morally better :-).

Not morally better in principle, but certainly strong evidence in VCS
practice.  Suppose Colin is correct that the members of his team don't
know how to diff or revert.  Then use of a VCS is merely bureaucracy
that will allow them to be convicted of negligence in court, but won't
help them *avoid* the defects that allow students' private information
to be broadcast on the Internet or whatever is going to show up in
Peter Newman's column next.  I also think it's really telling that
gitk is Russel Winder's visualizer of (no equally good ;-) choice.

The implication is that git is used and developed by people who care
about the content of their projects, while Tortoise is the VCS UI of
choice for those who only want to get home^W^Wleave work at 5pm.

That is *not* what Bazaar is about.  There's a reason for the
interminable threads here about "what should be the default for 'bzr
log'": the Bazaar developers and advanced users do care about the
content of their projects, nay, they care *passionately*.  But maybe
"bzr log" is missing the point when viewed from the perspective of a
VCS for the programmer in the trenches.  Maybe TortoiseBzr and Qbzr
should get more attention from the "core" developers.