Converting from svn to bzr?

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Sun Feb 22 10:07:37 GMT 2009

Patrick van der Velde wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've been trying to convert an old SVN repository to a bzr branch
> however I'm not having much luck. I grabbed the latest release (bzr
> 1.12.1) and installed that successfully. With that I tried to use the
> bzr-svn command by entering the command: bzr svn-import PATH_TO_REPO
> trunk
> Unfortunately that failed with a windows error message saying:
> bzr.exe - Entry point not found: The procedure entry point
> __lc_collate_cp_func could not be located in the dynamic link library
> msvcrt.dll
>
> And the stack trace was:
>
> D:\documents\petrik\support\backup\software\mcs>bzr svn-import
> svn://localhost/Research/PhdThesis/software/trunk trunk
> bzr: ERROR: exceptions.ImportError: Unable to load subvertpy
> extensions - did you build it?

This is a known issue with the bzr 1.2 installer -- search the mailing
list archives. It wasn't correctly building/installing one of bzr-svn's
dependencies, subvertpy.

I thought this had been fixed, but I could be wrong. Do you have the
latest installer?

<snip the rest of the traceback>

> After that I tried bzr-fastimport but that confused me completely. I
> managed to grab the latest version and add that to the bzr plugin
> directory but I can't seem to figure out how to get it started.The
> section of the help file explaining how to start it is way over my
> head and if I use the same command line as in the manual windows
> simply complains that the exporter I mentioned isn't a known
> application.
>
> So if anybody has some suggestions on how to approach this that would
> be very helpful :)

Sorry, I don't know anything about bzr-fastimport.

bzr-svn is the current recommended way to interact with svn (well, at
least I figure it is); the installer is just broken.