A branch from a sub-directory?

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Mon Feb 16 16:09:49 GMT 2009

Teemu Likonen wrote:
> On 2009-02-16 09:08 (-0500), Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>>> It seems Ian Clatworthy may be implementing the feature to "bzr
>>> fast-import". If you want to do it immediately you can convert the
>>> branch to Git, do the "git filter-branch" thing and convert the
>>> resulting branch back to Bzr...
>> ...and lose renaming information along the way.
>
> Currently it seems so.
>
> "git fast-export -C" detects renames&copies the Git-way and generates
> renaming and copying commands for the output dump. The format is defined
> in manual page:
>
>     http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-fast-import.html
>
> But according to my quick test it seems that "bzr fast-import" can't
> handle the data generated by "git fast-export -C". In case someone wants
> to investigate this I attached a small "git fast-export -C" dump file
> which contains a simple file rename.

Teemu,

Thanks for testing this and attaching an input dump. Could you please
raise a bug against bzr-fastimport and attach the dump there? (I get
hundreds of emails per day so the bug tracker is *far* better for
reminding me to fix something.)

As a quick response, bzr-fastimport has good support for renames so
I'd hope those would work. OTOH, *copy* support is yet to be added.
bzr doesn't record copies yet though they are easy to simulate in
bzr-fastimport, give or take directory copying, I suspect.

In the bug report, can you please identify whether it's renames
that aren't working, copies or both?

Thanks,
Ian C.