bazaar equivalents for CVS's $Version$ $Author$ $Log$

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at internode.on.net
Mon Feb 16 02:47:37 GMT 2009

John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Gizbo wrote:

>> One feature of CVS I liked was the ability to include $Log$, $Author$,
>> $Version$ and other tags in the source file, which would automatically
>> be updated after a commit.
>
>> What is the equivalent (if any) in Bazaar?

$Log$ is a really bad idea. The others have value and we'll be
supporting them or something like them soon. See below.

> That said, there has been some work done in this area:
>   http://bazaar-vcs.org/KeywordExpansion
>
> I'm not sure what the current status is, just that there is some
> interest, and people have done some development.

The core feature we need in Bazaar to support this is called
"content filtering". There's a patch up for review and *I* really
hope it can make it into 1.13 (though it's competing for reviewer
time with higher priority stuff). Once that patch lands, you'll
need the bzr-keywords plugin which I believe is working pretty
well, though it's had little testing as content filtering hasn't
landed in the core yet.

Ian C.