have a release branch

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Sat Feb 14 16:31:04 GMT 2009

    jam> Colin D Bennett wrote:
    >> On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:11:43 +1100
    >> Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'd like to change/add to how we do releases the idea of having a
    >>> 'current' branch of bzr.dev, which is always the current release.
    >>
    >> Sounds good.
    >>
    >>> Basically just 'bzr push 1.12 current' now, and then after each full
    >>> release (not beta etc) either push to current again (tags letting us get
    >>> at older releases there), or merge to current (left hand history in
    >>> current is each release).
    >>>
    >>> I think merge to current is probably most useful.
    >>
    >> I guess it depends on how current will be used.  In my mind, ‘current’
    >> would be conceptually a symbolic link to the latest released version,
    >> or, equivalently, could be thought of as a persistent, movable tag
    >> referring to the latest release version:  persistent meaning checkouts
    >> can be kept up to date, and movable meaning that the revision referred
    >> to changes with each release.
    >>
    >> I think a point in favor of pushing is that with merging (correct me if
    >> I'm wrong) the revision-id of bzr 1.13 in the ‘current’ branch will not
    >> be equal to the revision-id of bzr 1.13 in the ‘bzr.1.13’ branch, which
    >> would seem weird to me.  I wonder if push (--overwrite?) would be
    >> best, so that the ’current’ branch can be treated as an exact mirror of
    >> the latest release branch?
    >>
    >> What is the advantage of merging over pulling?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Colin

    jam> I'm pretty sure Robert's idea is to no longer *have* a
    jam> "bzr 1.13" branch.

I understand Robert's idea as having an *additional* branch named
'current' where commits will be done *only* for official
releases.

So that bzr log -n1 will shows *only* the bzr official releases,
*excluding* release candidates and of course all intermediate
commits made on release branches (which can be seen with bzr log
-n 2 (one more use case for -n 2 mwhahaha)).

     Vincent