Brief article on benchmarks of Python repository with leading DVCSen

Barry Warsaw barry at
Fri Feb 13 16:32:32 GMT 2009

On Feb 13, 2009, at 10:14 AM, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> I'd just like to point out that if you do the natural thing of:
> git init
> echo content >> foo
> git add foo
> git commit -m "create" foo
> git mv foo bar
> echo more content >> bar
> git commit -m "move and add" bar
> I believe git's auto-detection becomes even less reliable. I realize
> the
> "workaround" is to commit inbetween. However, consider a refactoring,
> where you then need to change things like "#include <foo.h>" to now be
> "#include <bar.h>", etc. It seems pretty natural to modify the
> *content*
> at the same time that you modify the *tree shape*.

Absolutely.  In fact, this is the thing that drives me up a wall with
Subversion more than anything else.  Okay, I guess it would be
slightly less annoying with a dvcs that separates "commit" and "push",
but every time Bazaar Just Does The Right Thing, I say a silent little
thank you.  It's just another example of Bazaar getting out of your
way and doing what you want, not what it wants.

Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (Darwin)