[MERGE] test_sprout_uses_bzrdir_branch_format

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Feb 12 04:43:49 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 13:01 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:

> So it ended up taking more to fix than I thought it would, so I'm
> posting my updated version for review.
>
> 1) Almost none of the BranchFormat objects was setting the branch_format
> attribute in its _matchingbzrdir. This adds a test for all of the
> permutations being tested that they do.
>
> Andrew and I had already done some of this, but I think he forgot to
> include it when he split this patch of to be approved (the tests were
> failing at least.)
>
> 2) It also turned out that the RemoteBranch tests were also not using a
> matching bzrdir. They were using RemoteBzrDir() directly, but again,
> self._matchingbzrdir.get_branch_format() would then return the default
> format which is Branch6. Perhaps a better fix would be to hard-code
> RemoteBzrDirFormat.get_branch_format() to return RemoteBranchFormat?

This seems to change what used to be 'preserve branch kind' to be 'use
the kind of the target'. This is good and bad - it's good that it will
allow 'seamless' upgrades, but its bad that it will downgrade branches
too.

I am staring at this test now, to make it work with RemoteBranch with
some other changes going on; what I propose to do in the short term is
punt on testing with Remote; its no worse that what is in bzr.dev at the
moment.

However, in terms of correct behaviour, I'd like to see branching across
preserve the format - this helps people moving ahead of stable as much
as it does laggards that want to read their contributors branches. We
have tests for stacking working, so I can make sure that stacking isn't
harmed at all doing this.

-Rob