brisbane-core compression selection

Colin D Bennett colin at gibibit.com
Thu Feb 12 01:31:47 GMT 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:14:42 +1100
Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:

> We could also look at using LZO for the second-pass on most of the these
> compressors, or bz2; we can bench revlog, we could look further afield,

I would avoid bzip2 in favor of LZMA.  LZMA is a faster at compression
than bzip2, gets a better compression ratio in general, and is faster
at decompression.  See <http://tukaani.org/lzma/benchmarks>.

LZO is super fast, so maybe LZO could be used for on-the-fly
compression, and then a 'bzr pack' could be used later to do heavier
compression with LZMA, if desired, when the developer is not in the
middle of a task.

Regards,
Colin