[RFC][#30159] Fix to make bzr st and bzr st -S display paths relative to cwd.

Eddie Parker eddie at kickingdragon.com
Mon Feb 9 16:14:17 GMT 2009

Nick wrote:
> I thought that the idea was that "bzr status" would show root relative
> paths but "bzr status ." would show paths relative to the current
> directory.

Ah.  The original bug said 'Proposed sollution [sic]: paths are always relative to cwd.', so I went ahead with that.

To continue along that train of thought, I figured that always relative
makes sense for a lot of tools that may be querying bzr st in order to
do click-and-jump-to-error stuff (see bialix comment on the bug [1]),
continuous builder tools, etc.

Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> Code-wise, it looks like there are some spurious whitespace changes,
> as well as a few other bits of seeming suboptimality.

Ah, yes.  Regarding the 'spurious whitepaces', I just realized that I
had originally started my code in that section and later removed it
without fixing the whitespaces.  If it's a bother I can of course fix
it -- I found the code rather densely packed and my mind simply doesn't
work that way. :)

I'd be interested to hear about the other suboptimality's, even if you
don't believe yourself qualified to comment.

> But I'll comment on the concept.  I for one would be VERY displeased
> to wake up one morning and find no way to keep status giving me
> root-relative paths.

May I ask why?  I'm honestly curious, as most other VCS I use don't have
this concept of printing from the root and I've never found myself
wanting it -- printing absolute paths, I could understand.  Anyhow, not
meaning to argue, I'm honestly curious about what you use it for.

I suppose it does make sense to perhaps include the change I've done as
some sort of flag, and have users who want it by default alias it to the
default bzr st/status command.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments gentlemen.

-e-

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/30159/comments/2