bzr performance (blitz speed on GNU/Linux compared to M$)

Eric Siegerman lists08-bzr at davor.org
Sat Feb 7 15:53:07 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 12:04 -0600, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> I've
> seen it where the "creating new file" portion goes fast, but doing "mv
> .bzr/checkout/limbo/dir working-dir" my system actually seems to just
> hang for about 5-10s not doing anything (that I can see).

Windows doesn't like to rename a directory that contains open files,
which suggests that the rename call walks the tree looking for any.  If
so, that would make directory-rename O(# of files and subdirectories),
instead of O(1) as on *NIX.

> Also in general, the CPU time during all of this is practically 0.

Hmm, arguing against my theory is that I'd have assumed that everything
in the limbo directory is still in cache, making this particular
tree-walk CPU-bound.  But then, you say Windows caching is weird...

  - Eric