bzr performance (blitz speed on GNU/Linux compared to M$)

dhruva dhruva at ymail.com
Fri Feb 6 17:37:55 GMT 2009

Hi,

----- Original Message ----
>   time bzr co --lightweight bzr.dev test
>
> And the resulting times were:
> 43.2, 5.1, 4.5, 2.7, 2.4, 1.95, 2.6, 12.9, 1.7, 8.0, 2.3, 1.6, 1.6, 1.7
>
> So we start with a pretty abysmal time of 43s to create ~900 files. It
> then drops dramatically down to 5.1s (8x speedup). However, the
> improvement doesn't stop there, as eventually it gets down to under 2
> seconds to build all 900 files.

For any serious timing on windows, we could either use perfmon or timeit (from windows resource kit).
I will make a separate post on my findings once I get enough samples.
 To a considerable extent, it appears like an OS specific issue and need OS specific solution. The other post of using
 a single file (bzr.exe) would improve when anti virus ON-ACCESS scanner is in action. It will start scanning the bzr
scripts every it is accessed.

-dhruva