Why does Bazaar download so much data for a small change?

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Thu Feb 5 07:02:25 GMT 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 20:38 +0100, Nicholas Allen wrote:

> Seeing as the user may pull from this when first trying out Bazaar

In fairness, I wouldn't really expect that the first project that
someone would checkout with a freshly installed bzr package would be the
bzr sources - most people are usually fairly high up the sophistication
curve before they need to checkout the sources to their version control
tool.

But yes,

> I think it would be good for Bazaar's image if it used the format that
> gave the best performance.

Given things like Gentoo ~arch and Ubuntu PPAs, I'm not sure that it
would be that unreasonable for the Bazaar hackers to keep their own code
in the best format available in the most recent public release
[available in such places].

And, it's not like it's hard to build bzr from source.

Anyway, their call to ensure people working on some ancient Debian
version can checkout the source code to bzr with bzr. They seem to think
that's important.

To be honest, the real travesty is that things like Ubuntu Intrepid
don't have the most recent version of Bazaar in them. Not very
supportive of one group of Canonical employees of another group of
Canonical employees.

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Operational Dynamics

mobile +61 4 1079 6725   office +1 646 472 5054