[PEBKAC] Bzr mixing up branches?

Sohail Somani sohail at worklogassistant.com
Fri Jan 30 18:16:37 GMT 2009

Hi,

Bzr 1.11.

[Warning: This is surely a PEBKAC]

I am attempting to make use of branches so I can continue to develop new
features while I let the old features bake in a stable branch.

With some help from lifeless on IRC, I was able to set up a "master" and
"next" branch. Since I am not usually disconnected, I also used bzr bind.

For the last few days, I have been working in the next branch by using
bzr switch. Here is the output of bzr info in my working copy:

Checkout (format: pack-0.92)
Location:
       checkout root: /home/sohail/src/ssci
  checkout of branch: /home/sohail/bzr/code/next

Related branches:
    push branch: /home/sohail/bzr/code/master <--- HUH?
  parent branch: /home/sohail/bzr/code/master <--- HUH?
  submit branch: /home/sohail/src/ssci

Yesterday, I wanted to fix a bug in the master branch so I switched to
it. Looking at the log however, I noticed that all the checkins I had
made to the next branch are in the master directory, although under the
branch nick "next".

For example:

$ bzr switch master
blah blah blah
$ bzr log

revno: 1027
committer: Sohail Somani <sohail at dev-ubuntu-wks>
branch nick: next <----------- UH OK
timestamp: Thu 2009-01-29 00:29:21 -0800
message:
  Modify script to use relative path for download

Indeed, the relevant source files /are/ changed in the master branch.

So:
 1) What did I do wrong?
 2) How can I fix it?

Sorry for the log email, I hope it is detailed enough.

Thanks for your time,

Sohail