[MERGE] log --merge-revisions

Tim Penhey tim.penhey at canonical.com
Mon Jan 26 03:41:55 GMT 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 03:45:16 John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> I think having a knob to tweak is nice, I'm just thinking we probably
> want to default to preserving the old behavior unless strongly warranted.
>
> John
> =:->

I think preserving the existing behaviour here is exactly the wrong thing to
do.  When I initially read Ian's email where merged revisions were not shown
by default I was so happy.

We need to think of the new users, and those who are looking to adopt a DVCS.
When people go `$vcs log` we want to be comparable.  Those doing these tests
don't often even look at the results, the only compare times.  Having the no-
merge option as the default I think is the right thing to do.

Those existing users who care can very easily add an alias.  Those new people
won't know any different except it is faster now.

Tim