looms: compatibility, performance, alternatives?

David Reitter david.reitter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 18:55:11 GMT 2009

On 9 Jan 2009, at 11:46, David Reitter wrote:

> So maybe maintaining many different branches and one (downstream)
> trunk would be the best thing for us.  However, creating a new
> branch on the server takes about 4m30s, and costs in excess of 300MB
> server space.  (The actual difference between trunk and branch is
> minimal.)
> When created with --stacked, the branch still takes more than a
> minute to create and 108MB space on the server.  Given that it is a
> shared repository, I didn't think --stacked was necessary.  Also, it
> appears as if the working tree is populated in the target branch,
> and that accounts for pretty much all of the space usage.  Do I need
> to re-create this repository with --no-trees?

Indeed, re-creating it with "init-repo --no-trees" helped a lot.
Creating the new branch is now instantaneous and cheap in terms of
disk-space, as expected.
"bzr switch" is fast as well, but requires the use of checkouts.

> bzr log takes about 40seconds for my test file (way too long),  bzr
> log --short takes 26sec (still too long).

BRAEBURN:src dr$ time bzr log --short -l 10 ChangeLog
real    0m18.365s

This is on a modern machine.  I understand it's a known behavior (and
hopefully seen as a known problem).