[MERGE] Fix #175520 by implementing a --deep option for log

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Jan 7 22:05:48 GMT 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 07:38 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:

> Hmm, I can see the problem with the above: you can miss
> references to a file X because the most recent X was once
> called Y at the same time. Again, not very likely in practice
> but possible. Fast and correct just aren't going to play
> together on this task it seems ...

Looking up a path in split-inventories is much cheaper than in xml
inventories. Given a node cache and unchanged paths no IO will be
needed.

My point - this is a use case supported by the infrastructure in the
pipeline, so perhaps looking at how it will work there is useful, and
don't assume we can't do fast and correct :)

-Rob