Could somebody point me to documentation DVCS storage methods?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Wed Dec 24 00:36:09 GMT 2008

On 24 Dec 2008, Patrick van der Velde <petrikvandervelde at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All
> I am wondering if anybody could point me to some documentation on how the
> internal storage in version control systems works. I know most version
> control systems store only the differences between revisions however I'm
> interested in finding out how a revision tree is actually stored and (just
> as interesting) how is a specific revision reconstructed.
>
> The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to use the version control idea to
> build an undo/redo system in one of my applications. The idea is to store
> the state of all the objects, but only store the differences between undo
> steps in order to save memory. One of the problems I have is to determine
> where to get the data from (which revision) when an undo is called for.
>
> I'm not sure if this idea will work so I figured I'd try it out but now I'm
> running in to all kinds of exciting design problems :) Anyway if somebody
> could point me in the right direction that would be really cool. If you
> think this is just a stupid idea (and have a good reason why) then I'd be
> interested in hearing this too :).

Hi Patrick,

I suggest you start by looking through
<http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.dev/developers/>, which has some
documentation of both the formats and the APIs.  If you just want to
store file copies, without putting them into a bzr tree, look at the
VersionedFile api.

--
Martin      <http://launchpad.net/~mbp>