using bazaar as root

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 22:17:19 GMT 2008

I was very satisfied with using Bazaar at versioning my own user
config files and scripts and  now I thought about doing the same as
root for all the system-wide configs.

I went to / and set a * in my .bzrignore.

Then did a "bzr init /" and think I am all set to add and commit
individual files that  I think ought to be version controlled.

Any special caveats while operating as root? I was just a little
nervous of any security implications etc. I'd rather not break down my
whole in-production system!

Besides another difference that I was curious about was this: As
foouser my .bzr directory gets made in ~foouser/ after a "bzr init ~/"

But as root I did a "bzr init /" and not a "bzr init ~root". I have to
do this, right? Else it would not version files outside of the /root
tree. When I do a "bzr add" on a file deep inside a nested dir
structure how exactly does bzr decide which .bzr directory to update?

--
Rahul