[MERGE] Support for the decorate argument also in CommandRegistry.register_lazy

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Fri Dec 19 19:26:56 GMT 2008

John Arbash Meinel has voted comment.
Status is now: Waiting
Comment:
I'm not a big fan of "decorate" because it isn't supposed to mean
"replace something that already exists", it means "I want to use the one
that exists, but layer my work on top of it."
As such, having 2 plugins defining the same command means that one will
get loaded, but you don't really know which one. (Ordering is not
guaranteed.) Which is why we don't let 2 plugins provide the same
command. Unless you really are *decorating* which, at least in theory,
means that both implementations get used, with one being stacked higher
than the other one.

But more importantly, I don't think register_lazy is compatible with
proper stacking.

If you are registering something in a lazy way, there is no way for you
to pass it the original implementation that you got back. Or at least,
if you do, then you had to load the new implementation, which means
there is no benefit to using a lazy registration.

I would tend to reject this with the statement "you cannot decorate a
command in a lazy way". I'm willing to be persuaded, though, which is
why I voted comment.

For details, see:
http://bundlebuggy.aaronbentley.com/project/bzr/request/%3C5288a560812190245g72cdc015xbfb78e7a66e4cea0%40mail.gmail.com%3E
Project: Bazaar