[MERGE] improved help on storage formats

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Fri Dec 12 11:09:06 GMT 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 02:49:52PM +1000 I heard the voice of
Ian Clatworthy, and lo! it spake thus:

> but I'm against a separate topic for experimental formats

I think it belongs on its own because the main list should be limited
to the formats likely meaningful to the "average" user.  That would be
the current default, the previous default (for at least a version or
two; certainly no longer than when it starts carping about being
deprecated), and upcoming "solid" versions.  The average user doesn't
care about old deprecated stuff or temporary 'experimental' stuff.

I've never been particularly comfortable with 'experimental' anyway,
but still.  IMO any user using one is knowingly walking off the beaten
path, probably experienced with bzr, and for that matter probably in
contact with the devs about it.  An inexperienced user looking for a
list of formats doesn't gain from seeing it.

> * formats - high level explanation, decision tree, rich root
>   explanation
> * current-formats - Matthew's list

I tend to like the reverse, with 'formats' being the list, and the
deeper explanations/etc being under another topic.  It's not an
especially strong preference, though.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net