bzr update merges changes even with uncommitted changes

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Thu Dec 11 16:37:12 GMT 2008

Marius Kruger wrote:

> My situation is where I had _local_ commits before I bound the branch.
> To make it worse, I wasn't ready to commit either.
> Maybe it would be reasonable to refuse to "convert local commit to
> pending merges"
> if the tree isn't clean.

I can certainly agree with having update check if there are local
changes and uncommitted changes. I think there are some open bugs on
this, about "update" doing 2 merges, and potentially getting conflicts
in your conflicts.

>     Perhaps you want to work in 2 branches?
>
> yes, but that is so much overhead for small new projects.

Sure, though just using a checkout there might help.

>     So that you never need to update
>

> I don't know what I was thinking but I actually ran update to see if it
> will push my local commits up.. ..don't laugh.

I certainly won't. When I wrote it, "bzr bind" would actually sync the
branches and refuse if it couldn't. (So you would have to do a
merge/whatever before the bind would succeed.)

As it stands, we don't have any easy way to push local commits up to the
master. Possibly "bzr push :parent", but certainly there isn't something
that just does it for you.