Repository size . . . is this right

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Tue Dec 9 16:52:21 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 16:43 +0000, Matt Nordhoff wrote:
> Russel Winder wrote:
> > I have a Git repository of the Gradle project with two branches and it
> > is 132932 MB.
> >
> > I have a Bazaar shared repository of the Gradle project with 4 branches
> > (each branch working tree is about 30MB) and it was 481640 MB.  I did a
> > pack on the 4 branches in the shared repository and now the shared
> > repository is 758860 MB.
> >
> > This is not good.
>
> When a repository is packed, the old pack files are backed up to
> .bzr/repository/obsolete_packs instead of being deleted outright. When
> it's an auto-pack, it's a negligible amount of data, but when you run
> "bzr pack", it's a copy of the entire repository. (The old
> obsolete_packs will be cleaned out next time the repo is packed.)

It would be good to know what constitutes a "repack" option that causes
the deletion.  No matter how many times I run bzr pack is steadfastly
refuses to delete stuff.

> "bzr pack" should have a warning message: "If you're hoping to save disk
> space, you will be sorely disappointed by this." :-P

Quite :-)

> So anyway, to get the true size of a repository, you should exclude
> .bzr/repository/obsolete_packs.

so that is 300MB (NB I was using the wrong scale in the original email
those figures were KB).  SO that is half the total which is consistent.

> That explains why disk usage grew after running "bzr pack", but I can't
> explain why the repository was so much larger in the first place. Sorry.
> Hopefully someone else can.

300MB compared to 130MB is a bit of a disappointment.

> BTW, you can delete the contents of obsolete_packs if you want to, but
> don't delete the directory itself; bzr won't like that. There's no real
> reason to, though, unless you're really short on disk space, since it'll
> be cleaned out eventually.

I think I'd prefer never to touch anything in .bzr!

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077