[MERGE] Fix #87179 by using the short status format when the short format is used for log.

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Tue Dec 9 16:49:38 GMT 2008

>>>>> "jam" == John Arbash Meinel <john at arbash-meinel.com> writes:

<snip/>

    jam> 3) Punning the log formatting with the extra options
    jam> isn't great. We are already doing it, but may not want
    jam> to continue the process.

    >> Looks like I don't understand 'punning' in that context :-)

    jam> Right now doing "bzr log --short" is effectively:

    jam> "bzr log --use-the-short-log-formatter --no-merges"

    jam> The way the bug proposed it, "bzr log --short -v" would become:

    jam> "bzr log --use-the-short-log-formatter --no-merges --use-short-status"

    jam> So supplying "--short" effectively expands into 3 orthogonal options.

I see. I agree. I share the concerns.

And you didn't even mention that some bugs ask for -p or
--show-diffs :-)

One way to partly address the problem, which has already been
proposed, is to provide some way to add parameters to log
formatters and carry them from command line. That would reduce
the options specific to log itself.

One way to address that could be to modify our option parser so
that it can pass unrecognized options to another parser (the log
formatter one in that case) and delay the error reporting. (This
could also be used to implement sub commands).

But that's a bit off-topic regarding this bug.

Except if you think that addressing this bug should be postponed
until log formatters can handle it ?

      Vincent