No subject

Fri Nov 28 17:05:26 GMT 2008

as a bzr user were the introduction of:

- dirstate,
- packs,
- the forthcoming chk-inventory

If you think about it, 1.0 was released when packs-0.92 *and*
some other parts of bzr were stable enough. 'dirstate' may have
been a stepping stone too, but wasn't.

Many of the problems around the multiple formats are related to
backward and forward compatibilities between bzr versions (and
their supported formats) used on both servers and clients for a
given project.

Having a major number to check against may simplify project
migrations from one bzr version to the other (given that inside a
project the rule seems to be that different people will use
different bzr version anyway, having them agree at least on the
major version may help).

    Stephen> I think this indicates a process problem.  I've
    Stephen> never seen this complaint on the Python lists, and
    Stephen> they've been using this mechanism for many years by
    Stephen> now.  I suspect the reason why this doesn't happen
    Stephen> is that Python has an (informal) process for setting
    Stephen> milestones for a minor release, and that minor
    Stephen> releases take place many months apart.

That sounds a lot like what we do for the formats except for
setting the date in advance :)

        Vincent