Branch Formats

Matt Nordhoff mnordhoff at mattnordhoff.com
Wed Dec 3 18:05:22 GMT 2008

Russel Winder wrote:
> I just ran "bzr upgrade" on a pack-0.92 format branch and it said:
>
> bzr: ERROR: The branch format Bazaar-NG meta directory, format 1 is
> already at the most recent format.
>
> Two questions:
>
> Why does bzr info report pack-0.92 as the format but upgrade reports
> format 1?  These two are clearly not equivalent!

There are four different formats at play: The format of ".bzr" (the
control directory), the format of ".bzr/checkout" (the working tree),
the format of ".bzr/branch" and the format of ".bzr/repository". For
example, "pack-0.92" is a name for a combination of control directory
format 1, branch format 6, a pack repository, and I don't remember the
working tree format.

For some reason, when everything is up-to-date, "bzr upgrade"'s error
message only mentions the control dir's format. I don't know why; that
message could really be improved.