[MERGE] Fix #87179 by using the short status format when the short format is used for log.

Aaron Bentley aaron at aaronbentley.com
Mon Dec 1 17:31:35 GMT 2008

Vincent Ladeuil wrote:

>     aaron> Aaron Bentley has voted comment.
>     aaron> Status is now: Semi-approved
>     aaron> Comment:
>
>     aaron> I don't really see why there should be an association between the
>     aaron> short log format and the short status display.
>
> The weak argument is that if you specify --short, you want a
> short display ?

When I specify --short (actually, it's my default), I want a display
that doesn't show merges.

I never run status without --short.  I think it's a superior way of
displaying status information.  I'd like it to be used everywhere, or at
least I want the *option* of using it everywhere.

>     aaron> I happen to like both, but aside from the name, they
>     aaron> are pretty different.
>
> As commented on the bug page, what about using the short form
> with -v and the long one with -vv ?

That would be okay with me.  I think at one point we were going to make
log -vv show diffs, but we later decided to have a --show-diffs option
instead.

Aaron