One big project with multiple small projects

Lionel Dricot zeploum at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 14:34:54 GMT 2008

Hello,

I'm starting one big project which consist of several independant modules
that will talk over D-BUS. I'm wondering how I can set a bzr repository for
it.

Some background :
- Each module will have a different maintener (even if a maintener can have
multiple module)
- Some modules are existing Open Source application that already use bzr for
their upstream development.
- There should be a central point which handle all the modules (like a shell
script that will start them all)
- The whole project should be easily installable on a freshly installed
computer (so we want to avoid a big howto which implies doing 17 bzr branch)

Solution that I see :

1) Having a big bzr repository that will handle the whole project
+ Easy to set up and to install on a new computer : bzr branch and you are
done
- Mainteners are maybe not interested in all other modules
- Upstream sync becomes  a nightmare. It means that we take an existing
project and put it in our own VCS which I want to avoid at all costs.

2) Having a bzr repository for each project
+ Easy to set up for each module maintener
+ Easy upstream synchronization
- A nightmare to install on a new computer
- In order to be sure all the modules are up to date, you have to run a lot
of bzr command

With SVN, I would put all in one big repository, allowing mainteners to only
checkout a subrepository and maybe using svn external for upstream projects.
But I don't see how I can do something similar with bzr.

Any suggestion is appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Lionel