bzr 1.10rc1 released for testing
mbp at canonical.com
Fri Nov 28 06:11:24 GMT 2008
I'm happy to announce availability of bzr 1.10rc1, and to ask for your
help in testing it. Our goal is to make a final release of 1.10 later
Source is available now from <https://launchpad.net/bzr/1.10/1.10rc1>
and Ubuntu and other packages should be available soon.
The full changelog is below. It makes sense to concentrate testing on
the things most changed in this release: shelve and unshelve,
fetching, and bzr+ssh operations. If you find problems, please let us
know by filing a bug, or on irc or the list.
bzr 1.10rc1 2008-11-28
This release of Bazaar focusses on performance improvements when pushing
and pulling revisions, both locally and to remote networks. The popular
``shelve`` and ``unshelve`` commands, used to interactively revert and
restore work in progress, have been merged from bzrtools into the bzr
core. There are also bug fixes for portability, and for stacked branches.
* New ``commit_message_template`` hook that is called by the commit
code to generate a template commit message. (Jelmer Vernooij)
* New `shelve` and `unshelve` commands allow undoing and redoing changes.
* ``(Remote)Branch.copy_content_into`` no longer generates the full revision
history just to set the last revision info.
(Andrew Bennetts, John Arbash Meinel)
* Fetches between formats with different serializers (such as
pack-0.92-subtree and 1.9-rich-root) are faster now. This is due to
operating on batches of 100 revisions at time rather than
one-by-one. (Andrew Bennetts, John Arbash Meinel)
* Search index files corresponding to pack files we've already used
before searching others, because they are more likely to have the
keys we're looking for. This reduces the number of iix and tix
files accessed when pushing 1 new revision, for instance.
(John Arbash Meinel)
* Signatures to transfer are calculated more efficiently in
``item_keys_introduced_by``. (Andrew Bennetts, John Arbash Meinel)
* The generic fetch code can once again copy revisions and signatures
without extracting them completely to fulltexts and then serializing
them back down into byte strings. This is a significant performance
improvement when fetching from a stacked branch.
(John Arbash Meinel, #300289)
* When making a large readv() request over ``bzr+ssh``, break up the
request into more manageable chunks. Because the RPC is not yet able
to stream, this helps keep us from buffering too much information at
once. (John Arbash Meinel)
* Better message when the user needs to set their Launchpad ID.
(Martin Pool, #289148)
* ``bzr commit --local`` doesn't access the master branch anymore.
This fixes a regression introduced in 1.9. (Marius Kruger, #299313)
* Don't call the system ``chdir()`` with an empty path. Sun OS seems
to give an error in that case. Also, don't count on ``getcwd()``
being able to allocate a new buffer, which is a gnu extension.
(John Arbash Meinel, Martin Pool, Harry Hirsch, #297831)
* Don't crash when requesting log --forward <file> for a revision range
starting with a dotted revno.
(Vincent Ladeuil, #300055)
* Don't create text deltas spanning stacked repositories; this could
cause "Revision X not present in Y" when later accessing them.
(Martin Pool, #288751)
* Pack repositories are now able to reload the pack listing and retry
the current operation if another action causes the data to be
repacked. (John Arbash Meinel, #153786)
* PermissionDenied errors from smart servers no longer cause
"PermissionDenied: "None"" on the client.
(Andrew Bennetts, #299254)
* Pushing to a stacked pack repository now batches writes, the same
way writes are batched to ordinary pack repository. This makes
pushing to a stacked branch over the network much faster.
(Andrew Bennetts, #294479)
* TooManyConcurrentRequests no longer occur when a fetch fails and
tries to abort a write group. This allows the root cause (e.g. a
network interruption) to be reported. (Andrew Bennetts, #297014)
* RemoteRepository.get_parent_map now uses fallback repositories.
(Aaron Bentley, #297991?, #293679?)
* ``CommitBuilder`` now validates the strings it will be committing,
to ensure that they do not have characters that will not be properly
round-tripped. For now, it just checks for characters that are
invalid in the XML form. (John Arbash Meinel, #295161)
* Constructor parameters for NewPack (internal to pack repositories)
have changed incompatibly.
* ``Repository.abort_write_group`` now accepts an optional
``suppress_errors`` flag. Repository implementations that override
``abort_write_group`` will need to be updated to accept the new
argument. Subclasses that only override ``_abort_write_group``
don't need to change.
* Transport implementations must provide copy_tree_to_transport. A default
implementation is provided for Transport subclasses.
* ``bzr selftest`` now fails if no doctests are found in a module
that's expected to have them. (Martin Pool)
* Doctests now only report the first failure. (Martin Pool)
More information about the bazaar