Bazaar package from PPA prohibits Hardy -> Intrepid upgrade

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Wed Nov 26 19:16:30 GMT 2008

Martin,

On Wed, 2008-11-26 at 11:01 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:

> Yes, I know, it's a very poor interaction between a bug in synaptic
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/synaptic/+bug/218086> and
> the fact that PPAs are not signed
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/soyuz/+bug/125103>.  The second bug is
> promised to be fixed very soon.

So it might happen before the heat death of the universe ;-)

> For a regular dist-upgrade you can work around this by running it from
> the command line rather than the gui, but I'm not sure if that's
> enough for upgrading from one release to the next.

I have to admit I am still an Aptitude user since, as far as I know,
Synaptic still doesn't have the dependency tracking that aptitude has.
I hesitate to do the upgrade by editing sources.list myself and doing a
dist-upgrade since the upgrade manager generally seems to do various
extra fiddling.

The algorithm appears to be:

	remove Bazaar
	upgrade Ubuntu
	reinstall Bazaar

This appears to work fine on systems that don't have NFS mounted
filestore -- Network manager, NFS and NIS seems to have a fight on
systems with NFS mounted filestore meaning it takes about 2 hours for a
reboot to work :-((  Nothing to do with Bazaar though, so I'll have to
find another list to moan about that on :-)

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077